How's the weather over there?

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

How do I configure my XP machine to automatically shutdown?

Well, I'm glad you asked. A friend of mine recently asked me that exact question. He told me that he had scoured the face of the planet for some shareware apps to try and hadn't come up with anything satisfactory yet.

Thus he sicced me on it.

As it turns out, for those of you out there who weren't already aware, Windows has capabilites for this exact problem built in.

1. Create a new scheduled task using the windows task scheduler. Screen

2. Configure the appropriate command. In this case it's shutdown -s. Screen

3. Select the time you want it to run. Screen

And that's it! No more worrying about shutting off the computer at 3 am after a power session in Visual Studio...or eMule/bittorrent/whatever...

2 Comments:

  • Of course not, I just thought it was useful and I wanted to share it with everyone. Plus I didn't know what else to write about.

    Hey! Wait a second--at least I posted something! :-P

    By Blogger droo5ki, at 10:08 PM  

  • ZZZZzzzzzzzz.
    Although, good to know I don't have to babysit my system anymore.
    * Nice to see you actually posted though. Was afraid the place of employment was making you brain-dead. wb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home