How's the weather over there?

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Interesting Reading

So it would appear that we were wrong in our thinking. We always thought that depression was at least affected by and perhaps in-part caused by a lack of serotonin in the synaptic gap. And that drugs such as setraline (Zoloft) a serotonin reuptake inhibitor...well...helped. Apparently this may not be the case at all, or at least there isn't any real evidence supporting this conclusion as stated in this guy's blog:

Modern Mental Health: ex juvantibus

Where he summarizes this journal article.

We especially like Dr. Murray's refutation of the ex juvantibus line of reasoning:

"...Or, if you are shy and when you drink alcohol, your shyness turns into extroversion, you must have an alcohol deficiency."

3 Comments:

  • well, that's that then.....I have a alcohol deficiency ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 PM  

  • It would be great if he mentioned other alternatives to the "brain drugs". I totally see the point he's making and it does make me put more thought into what I'm putting in to my body, but at the same time, I do know that I'm a lot better off now than when I wasn't taking anything for my depression. Sometimes it does take more than talking to help your situation.

    Interesting read indeed.

    By Blogger Stone Grody, at 2:10 PM  

  • i just have to add that I'm so proud of stone grody......acknowledging there is a problem, any problem and getting help is a GOOD thing, even if the scientific methodology behind it is not exact or even specific. I agree, even if they don't know how all that works - it seems to help me be a better me. Even if it's literally all in my head....I choose the questionable pills.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home